If you think learning to use new software or a genealogy website is too daunting, or you get stuck trying to research your family tree, you could employ a professional genealogist who will be able to research your family tree for you. This route has many advantages Here are a few:
- Speed – professional genealogists are familiar with a wide range of techniques and can make progress much more quickly than you might think.
- Resources – professional genealogists will have normally have a range of subscriptions to genealogy sites, giving them access to a huge variety of resources. This means that you could actually save money!
- Archives experience – professional genealogists are expert gatekeepers to the undigitised materials held by archives.
- Expertise – professional genealogists have significant knowledge of the records kept by the church, the state, and other organisations. They may also have specialist training in particular genealogical skills, such as palaeography, poor law records, one place studies, one name studies, house history, ecclesiastical records, educational records, and many more.
- Experience – professional genealogists will not fall into the many traps which lurk in wait for the unwary novice – they are unlikely to make mistakes.
- Contacts – professional genealogists frequently network with each other and can seek help from other specialists if required.
- Professionalism – professional genealogists work to high standards, ensuring that their findings are subjected to genealogical proofs.
- Presentation – professional genealogists are used to presenting their research in properly sourced reports. They may also use a variety of charts and displays to bring your family tree to life, for example, my clients often like to receive a Twiggli family tree. You can ask to see examples of what you might receive.
- Specialisisation – different genealogists specialise in different areas of family history. Why not employ someone who has particular expertise relating to a place, time period, military campaign, etc.?
- Existing Research – If you employ a genealogist with a relevant specialisation, they will be able to tap into their existing research to help you. For example, I have already started family trees for over 560 families on Ancestry!
Interested in finding out more? You can read about my family history research services here: Family History Research.