Go to the Ancestry home page. DO NOT click on the Free Trial button.
At the top of the page click on ‘Subscribe’.
On the next page you will find a form entitled ‘Create Account – Set up a free Ancestry account.’ Fill out the form.
Click continue. On the next page DO NOT click Start a Free Trial!
Instead, at the top of the page click Trees.
Select ‘Start a New Tree’ if you are planning to build the tree from scratch.
Click ‘Upload a GEDCOM’ if you already have a gedcom data file.
On the next page you can choose the gedcom file to upload.
That’s all, you’re up and running! As a Registered Guest you can access all the free features of Ancestry, including…
- Search Ancestry’s free databases
- Access articles in the Support Center
- Create, edit, and delete family trees
- View educational videos in Ancestry Academy
- Share trees with friends and family
- View family trees to which you’re invited
- Activate a DNA test
- View any DNA results that have been shared with you
- Initiate messages to your DNA matches
- Respond to messages from other members
- Post to Ancestry Message Boards
- Read tips from our experts on the Ancestry Blog
- View your AncestryDNA® ethnicity estimate and matches (if you have a DNA test on your account)