Glascote Locks and the Coventry Canal in 1918

Glascote area shown in the Canal Control Committee Map, 1918

In 1918 the Coventry Canal was controlled by the Canal Control Committee, part of the Board of Trade. The Midland Sub-Committee was responsible for the Birmingham Canal Navigations, the Coventry Canal Navigation, the Erewash Canal, Sharpness New Docks, the Gloucester and Birmingham Navigation Company, the Berkeley Ship Canal, the Worcester and Birmingham Canal, the Leicester Navigation, the Loughborough Navigation, the Severn Commission, the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal, the Stourbridge Canal, the Trent Vavigation, and the Weaver Navigation.

The Head Office of the Coventry Canal was in Bishop Street, Coventry. The Secretary and Manager was A Chadborn. The Clerk and Solicitor was H G Twist, The Quadrant, Coventry. The Engineer was G Crosbie Dawson, 18 Priory Row, Coventry, telegrams “Minerals, Coventry”, telephone Coventry 259. The Telegraphic address for the Canal Head Office was “Canal Company – Coventry”, and its telephone number was Coventry 289. The Head |Office was supported by two branch offices:

  • Glascote Locks Toll Office, near Tamworth
  • Hawkesbury Toll Office, Bedworth, near Coventry

The Canal Control Committee was intended to promote the use of Canals for the carriage of goods, and to supplement the use of railways which were under pressure due to the great service they had rendered throughout the First World War. In 1918 the Committee took an inventory of canal carriers operating along canal and published a directory, the ‘Handbook on Canals’, to enable senders and receivers of goods to identify suitable carriers. The following carriers were identified on the Coventry Canal. Their boats would have been a familiar sight at Glascote Locks:

  • Samuel Barlow Limited, Glascote, near Tamworth
  • Thomas Clayton Limited, Oldbury, near Birmingham
  • J F Cox, Smithford Street Chambers, Coventry
  • L B Faulkner, Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire
  • Fellows, Morton and Clayton Limited, Fazeley Street, Birmingham
  • W and S Foster Limited, Tipton, Staffordshire
  • The Executors of J Griffiths, Bedworth, near Nuneaton
  • Harris Brothers, Brierley Hill, Staffordshire
  • J Rayner, Bank Chambers, Runcorn
  • J Rice and Son, St Owen’s Wharf, Gloucester
  • The Severn and Canal Carrying Company Limited, Bridge Street, Birmingham
  • The Sharpness New Docks Company, Canal Office, Gas Street, Birmingham
  • The Shropshire Union Railway and Canal Company, Cambridge Street, Birmingham
  • E Smith, Ham Wharf, Brentford, Middlesex
  • W H Walker, Frogmore Wharf, Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire

Share:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.