This page gives you advice on creating an Ancestry Account if you are employing a genealogist to research your tree. There are two options.
1) If you don’t want to spend any money on having an Ancestry account, ever
Your genealogist can build your family tree on their own account (which gives them access to all Ancestry’s records). In the meantime you can create a free account on Ancestry. When you research is complete, the genealogist will provide you with a gedcom file containing all your family tree data which you can upload to your account yourself, or you can give your genealogist access to your account so they can upload it for you.
2) If you expect to continue researching on Ancestry after working with a genealogist
Create an Ancestry subscription account when you engage your genealogist. You will definitely need at least an “All UK” premium account and you may need a Worldwide account if you have ancestors in more than one country. (You can start with a free trial if you wish).
Add your genealogist to your account as a manager. Your genealogist will do your research and build your tree directly onto your account. The advantage to this method is that you can:
- Enjoy full access to all Ancestry’s records
- Collaborate (you and your genealogist can both add to the tree)
- Observe (you can see your tree as it is built)
You can downgrade to Free Registered User access at any time, without losing your family tree.
Other options available with both choices
• You can optionally attach a DNA test to your account
• You can specify Sheridan as the DNA manager
• You can remove Sheridan as a tree manager or DNA manager at any time.